Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dear Silly Fru

Silly Fru - This was stolen from Fru's website...I admit it.

I want to introduce you to a friend of mine.  Her name is Wendy, but I think most people know her as Fru or Sassypants Knitter.  I met her a couple of years ago when I went to SAFF for the first time. She's an out of state Biscuit.  I will never forget the first thing I heard come out of her mouth.  Another person was showing her some amazing yarn and she reached over and reverently stroked the gorgeous softness and said "Holy s#*tballs! That's unreal!" I wasn't shocked or upset by that comment because what some of you don't know about me is that I have quite the potty mouth...it can be rather embarrassing because those awful words typically pop out at the most inappropriate moments.  I'm much better than I used to be but I've always admired people that will let something like that fly when they are enthusiastic about something.  I knew that this was a kindred spirit. I mean, come on, she's a fellow hippie chick!

Because she lives a state away, I haven't gotten to know her as well as I'd like to, but I have to say that this irreverent woman has one of the most amazing hearts I've ever encountered...and it's in mourning at the moment.  You see, Fru lost her beloved Grammy at the end January to esophageal gastric junction cancer.

I have found since I started knitting and crocheting that this community of people that play with sticks and string are an amazing, warm hearted group of people and that's what I'm counting on...that you will share this warmth.  When Fru's Grammy found out she was ill, she decided that she wanted to knit 100 hats for the homeless.  Fru put the word out on her blog, where she pod casts regularly, and the community responded. Boy, did they respond with over 300 hats.

2012's Hats - Picture stolen from Fru's Facebook Page

This is were you come in.  I'm asking you to help out this year.  Fru is going to do the drive again in her Grammy's honor. She tentativly wants to officially start the drive in September and close it out in November, but if you're anything like me, you need plenty of time and planning, but I also know that y'all can whip up some hats like nobody's business. 

So if you're interested, contact me on Facebook, Ravelry or email (melbatoast68@gmail.com). She prefers that the hats be simple, washable and dark colors. I just ask that the be filled with love and warmth.  Thanks!!

Additional info:
News Story
Fru's Website 

There are several hat patterns on Ravelry.  Here are a few of my favorites:
Simple Slouch Hat
Man Hat
Ribbed Watchman's Hat
Midnight Sky Men's Hat
Hats from the Heart

These aren't fancy hats, but they look nice and warm.


8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Sassypants Knitter so will have to pop over for a visit. I am interested in knitting hats, of course I am, so just tell me where to send them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to help, but I've yet to knit a hat. Do you have a pattern that you enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a knitter but just wanted to say what a sweet thing to do in memory of her grammy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to help, I will email you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to help too! I'll email.... x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be happy to help with this project!!! How kind of you to help spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only potty mouth. I'll pop in and check out the details. What a great way to honor grammy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in ~ visiting from Kim's post on Mothering with Mindfulness!

    Lovely way to honor a loved one and care for those in the community.

    ReplyDelete